EMPOWERMENT AND RESILIENCE
Saturday 16 OCTOBER 2021 9am – 5pm
TUTOR – Finn Mackesy
This workshop explores the tools, techniques, strategies and technologies that empower communities and active citizens to create the change they want to see in the world. It also explores how individuals and communities can respond effectively to change, capturing and harnessing positive opportunities as they arise. Identifying local and global risks and threats we investigate strategies and tools to develop and enhance personal, household and community resilience. This workshop is ideal for community leaders, Transition group members, social entrepreneurs, community development workers, and anyone interested in learning new and effective skills to work successfully empowering communities.
Introduction to – Resilience and Sustainability; Ecological Resilience; Personal, Household and Community Resilience; Designing for Resilience; Civil defence and emergency planning – Recognising risk, hazard and vulnerability; Auckland and global Hazardscapes; Resilience assessment tools and activities; personal action planning; and Local, national and international best practice.
- Identify the relationship between empowerment and resilience
- Develop an understanding of resilience thinking and designing for resilience
- Develop an understanding of personal, household and community resilience
- Develop an understanding of effective tools, technologies and strategies that enhance community participation, resilience, well being and wealth
- Develop a greater understanding of risk management and assessment tools and strategies for improving resilience
- Identify opportunities and challenges to applying the day’s learning