RESOURCES AND REDEFINING WASTE
Saturday 20 AUGUST 2022 9am – 5pm
Usually mid August – Saturday 9am – 5pm
TUTOR – Ron Sperber
The wasteful use of resources, labour and capital is a definitive characteristic of the global economy and western culture. In this workshop participants will explore the relationship between resource management and human culture and examine the way resource and nutrient flows are managed in the Auckland bioregion. Participants will learn from experts in the field, the fundamental strategies for developing household and community based resource management and waste minimization initiatives. This workshop is ideal for community leaders, social entrepreneurs, active citizens and anyone interested in turning many of Auckland’s waste issues into opportunities for local economic development and integrated resource management solutions.
In the case of a lockdown due to Covid19 we are geared up to deliver the programme via an online format if necessary. For more information please see our Programme Information PDF.
Introduction to – The ecology of waste systems and resources; Community resource and waste management initiatives and strategies from around the world; Bioregional resource auditing and analysis; Household and community scale organic nutrient and material cycling systems – integrated compost, bokashi, warmfarming; resource centres etc; Introduction to waste water systems; Water treatment and purification; Utilising biological treatment systems; Grey water reuse; Site specific and community based systems; Practical activity.
- Develop an understanding of the regenerative capacity of the planet and its ecosystems
- Develop an understanding of the metabolic needs of a city
- Develop an understanding of how to use biological systems to recycle and re-assimilate nutrients, minerals, carbon and water back into an ecological system
- Apply the day’s learning of resource recovery to a practical design activity
- Identify opportunities and challenges to applying today’s learning
LINKS + REFERENCE MATERIAL
In case of alert level changes due to Covid19 we are geared up to deliver via an online format if necessary.