Saturday 27 MARCH 2021 9am – 5pm
TUTOR – Finn Mackesy
SUPPORT TUTOR – Cathy Angell
This workshop explores the values, invisible structures and networks that form the social and cultural fabric of our communities. Students will be introduced to working models of social design and community development, which explore the role of culture, ecology, communication, economics, education, governance and health, in the building of resilient and vibrant communities. The concepts and ideas presented in this workshop will form the basis for practical activities and projects throughout the APW programme. This workshop is essential for anyone interested in developing their understanding of social design, effective governance and group dynamics as well as those who want to become more involved in his or her community.
In the case of a lockdown due to Covid19 we are geared up to deliver the programme via an online format if necessary. For more information please see our Programme Information PDF.
Introduction to – Values, assumptions and perceptions in the formation of community; Group dynamics and social organisation; Social ecology, social innovation and social permaculture; Governance – Treaty of Waitangi, R.M.A., L.G.A. and L.T.C.C.P; Decision making processes and conflict resolution; Legal structures; Genuine Progress Indicators; and Local, national and international best practice.
- Develop an understanding of what constitutes a living community
- Develop an understanding of tools and technologies used to design in the sociosphere and applied to social innovation
- Develop an understanding of invisible structures, systems, and processes that empower communities to function
- Develop skills and knowledge in community development and working effectively in groups
- Identify opportunities and challenges to applying the day’s learning
LINKS + REFERENCE MATERIAL
- Community Toolbox
- Auckland Council
- New Zealand Local Councils
- New Zealand Local Communities Resource
- Civic Engagement and the Restoration of Community – PDF
PETER BLOCK, 2007
- Towards Sustainable Communities: Solutions for Citizens and their Governments, 4th Edition
MARK ROSELAND, 2012
- Living Together: Towards Inclusive Communities
Editors CLAIRE FREEMAN, MICHELLE THOMPSON-FAWCETT, 2006
- The Transition Handbook
ROB HOPKINS, 2008
- The Art of Facilitation:
The Essentials for Leading Great Meetings and Creating Group Synergy
DALE HUNTER, 2009
In case of alert level changes due to Covid19 we are geared up to deliver via an online format if necessary.